So am I right in assuming:

inherit-pkg-dir = pkg install from global zone
installs the files in the global zone and simply
updates the package database in the non-global zone.

and

lofs = a package install from the global zone installs
the files in the global zone then tries to install the
files in the non-global zone (which fails of course
because the file system is read only).