Dave Bevans wrote:
The customer has sent me more information regarding his issue... He has some additional questions below.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Dave,

Thank you for your effort so far. I believe I need to briefly restate my
questions to ensure we are moving together on this.

I have a new (this year) Sun V890 with eight US-IV dual core CPU's and 64
gb main memory. It has Solaris 10, 1/06 release installed and is very
heavily patched up to several months ago. My customer now wishes to create
one or two non-global zone containers to support independent dev and test
instances of their services. Originally we need to add entries like the
following to the /etc/system so the application(s) would find what they
expected (irrespective of SYS V IPC parameters which are no longer in use,
etc.):

* DataStage Installation Requirements, per Lee Minniear, FSL 5713668,
20mar2006
*
* Shared Memory
*   Intimate Shared Memory (ISM) Enable Flag (unknown default)
*   LAST NOTED in Solaris 8 Documentation
set shmsys:share_page_table=0
*set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=200
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=3072

* Message Queues
*   Maximum size of System V message (2048 default)
*   REMOVED in Solaris 10
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmax=65535
*   Maximum number of bytes that can be on any one message queue. (4096
default)
*   REMOVED in Solaris 10
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmnb=65535
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmni=2560
set msgsys:msginfo_msgtql=2560

* Semaphores

*   System wide limit on number of semaphores (60 default)
*   REMOVED in Solaris 10
*set semsys:seminfo_semmns=111
*   Maximum number of semaphores per semaphore identifier (25 default)
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=111
*   Maximum number of semaphore identifiers (10 default)
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=4096

*   Maximum number of open file descriptors per process (256 soft, 1024
hard)
*     256 soft, 1024 hard for Solaris 8
*     256 soft, 65535 hard for Solaris 9/10
*   Maximum soft limit of per process open file descriptors
set rlim_fd_cur=4096
*   Maximum hard limit of per process open file descriptors
set rlim_fd_max=4096

* turn off _POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED to allow users to chown/chgrp
*   (even for GID's they do not belong to)
*   default is set rstchown=1, i.e., disabled
* normally enabled to allow only root to perform these,
*    user can chgrp file to another GID the user belongs to
*set rstchown=0

I normally have a separate /var partition to support my OS loads, but have
only experimented with Solaris 10 zone containers a small bit.
My questions are as follows:
    * Can I create a full (not sparse) Solaris 10 zone with a separate
      /var? Or, does the zone need to be created/run within a single
      partition?
This is quite ok ( make saure patch 119254/119255 latest rev is installed as rev 31 has fixes critical to seperate /var )
    * What are the inherited packages (by default) which need to be
      overridden with 'remove' directives in the base zone configuration
      before install?
/usr /lib /platform /sbin
See
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1592/6mhahuoor?q=whole+root+zone&a=view
part 10 under how to configure a zone , explains whole and sparse and how to set up a whole root zone by removing inherited dirs.

    * Does a non-global zone need to be installed in a UFS file system? Or
      can we use one created under Veritas LVM/File System? My V890 is
      currently running Veritas Foundation Suite 4.1 MP1 and we use that to
      mirror the OS drives as well. I would prefer to create the new
      non-global zone install(s) on a different mirrored drive pair (using
      Veritas LVM/VxFS), not using the mirrored public region on the
      current OS drive set. I am just trying to ensure that we have minimal
      problems with any non-Sun packages we use.
not really, but there are considerations such as upgrade.
As far as I'm aware you cannot upgrade if the zonepath is on veritas, but update 4 now has liveupgrade so perhaps this has changed.

I appreciate any direction you can provide as I have not seen clear answers
in my investigations. I need to implement this for initial use before this
coming Monday, 15jan2007.

--
Regards,
Dave

Sun Microsystems
Mailstop ubur04-206
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA  01803

*Dave Bevans - Technical Support Engineer*
*Phone: 800-872-4786
(opt-1), (opt-2), (case #)
* *Email: david.bevans <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@Sun.com <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
TSC Systems Group-OS / Hours: 6AM - 2PM EST / M - F
*
Submit, Check & Update Cases at the Online Support Center <http://www.sun.com/service/online>