Nicolas Williams wrote:

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 01:30:44PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Luke Scharf wrote:
Why not just run a userland NFS daemon in the zones -- and follow the existing security model?

That makes all of the security model questions fall away -- and it also gets fault isolation. There's a slight performance penalty, but you're running a VM-ish environment anyway.
With respect to performance, there isn't really any serious
performance hit at all for applications running in a local zone.
They interact directly with the kernel and disk, just like they
would if they were running in the global zone.

But we're talking about an NFS server in user-land

Err, yes, the comment to which I replied made it sound like anything
in a zone suffered from a performance hit because of the VM-likeness
of it (or that's how I read it), which isn't true.

Darren