Depends on the software involved really, say Oracle for instance
installs quite ok on sparse root, and sparse root does have some advantages.
1. easier to patch, both in terms of performance and reliability ( as
most core os is shared )
2. less memory overhead, shared libs in inherited dirs are only loaded
once ( where as in whole root the non global zone will load it's own
copy into memory )
3 less space used.

If you intend to install some software to use /lib then perhaps inherit
the other directories such as /platform ( chances of needing a local
/platform in the non global zone are very remote in most cases )
But as most third party software installs to user defined directories
then sparse will work just fine, and provide the benefits listed.

global and zones are tightly coupled anyway, whether whole or sparse,
and if moving zones, then sparse is best really in my opinion, as a
whole root zones /lib etc might need to be modified whereas assuming the
zone can attach, in a sparse there is no work to be done.