On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:24:07PM -0600, Jerry Jelinek wrote:
> Ed,

> Edward Pilatowicz wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 08:48:17AM -0600, Jerry Jelinek wrote:
>>> I have updated the webrev at:
>>>
>>> http://cr.opensolaris.org/~gjelinek/webrev/
>>>
>>> This includes the changes for the feedback I have
>>> received so far.  I also added the zlogin.c file
>>> to the webrev with two bug fixes.  One of these was for
>>> a bug I was hitting during testing of these changes
>>> and there is a second bug in zlogin that came in
>>> which I also fixed.  So, at a minimum, it would be
>>> good to take a look at that additional file.
>>>

>> here's my last batch of comments.
>> (for sw_support.c i only looked at the new functions you introduced.)
>> ed
>>
>> ----------
>> general
>>
>> - iirc, there is still tons of zulu code in zoneadmd.  this code creates
>>   the special live upgrade environment, and LU is tied to svr4
>>   packaging, right?  so it seems like the zulu code is brand specific
>>   and should also be factored out into "mount" callbacks.  (and iirc,
>>   the "mount" operations isn't currenly supported by any branded zones.)
>>   thoughts?
>
> I don't think there is really any zulu code in zoneadmd but I'll
> take a pass through to double check.  If I see anything like
> that, I'll fix it up and update the webrev.
>
> The mount code is not really svr4 pkg specific either, but is
> specific to the native brand.  I have extensions to mount which
> would allow us to mount any type of brand with very little change.
> I added those with the update on attach work.  Being able to
> mount any zone is something I've thought would be handy for a long
> time now, so I'll take a look at that as I am making the pass through
> zoneadmd.

hm.  from what i remember mount mode actually puts the zone root at
<zoneroot>/a and lofs mounts stuff from the global zone at <zoneroot>,
all so that the svr4 packaging code can "enter" the zone to do packaging
operations.  i thought this dance was necessary because we wanted packaging
scripts to execute inside a zone (since for security reasons, we wouldn
t want them to be able to muck with stuff outside a zone).  but IPS doesn't
have packaging scripts.  so will this complicated setup really be necessary
for IPS?  ie, could we do away with the /a mount in mount mode for IPS?

i'm asking about this because the /a mount code in zoneadmd has lots of hard
coded paths and makes zoneadmd pretty complicated.  (just look at
mount_filesystems() and build_mounted_post_var().)  i've had to modify this
code a few times, i've broken it a couple times, and been confused by it all
the time...

ed