Mike Gerdts wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Ethan Quach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jerry,
>> If its not for general purpose, then yes, I agree <zonepath>/ROOT is
>> more clear. ?(And I also agree about the rpool name)
>> Regarding a general purpose dataset, IMO we need to always automatically
>> give this branded zone one of those since we're giving it the ability to
>> manipulate its own BEs. ?With BEs, zone admins will inevitably want a
>> place to store data shared by all of their BEs instead of having everything
>> cloned.
> I'm with you here.  It seems as though there should be a convention
> for a non-root dataset that is delegated to the zone.  For instance
> zfs create -o mountpoint=none rpool/zones/z1/share
> zonecfg -z z1 add dataset name=rpool/zones/z1/share
> zoneadm -z z1 boot -s
> zlogin z1 zfs set mountpoint=/share rpool/zones/z1/data

To follow up with this thread, I would like to propose that we add
this to the design.  That is, to always automatically delegate a general
purpose dataset for an ipkg brand zone.

The reason for this is that since we are now giving ipkg brand zone
admins the ability to create boot environments within the zone, a
place for "shared" data - or data common to all of that zone's boot
environments - is required.

It is understood that there is an existing mechanism for global zone
admins to optionally delegate a dataset to a zone at zone configuration
time; this proposal doesn't diminish that.  This proposal simply
automates that step in creating this delegated dataset for ipkg brand

The proposed general purpose dataset will be a peer to the designated
ROOT dataset:

(I'm not wedded to the name "data" so suggestions here are particularly