On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Jeff Victor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It has become clear that there is a need to monitor resource
> consumption of workloads in zones, and an easy method to compare
> consumption to resource controls. In order to understand how a
> software tool could fulfill this need, I created an OpenSolaris
> project and a prototype to get started. If this sounds interesting,
> you can find the project and Perl script at:
> http://opensolaris.org/os/project/zonestat/ .
>
> If you have any comments, or suggestions for improvement, please let
> me know on this e-mail list or via private e-mail.

That reminds me of a blog entry from a year ago:

http://blogs.sun.com/menno/entry/resource_control_observability_using_kstats

Just looking at zonestat.pl, it perpetrates many of the horrors I'm used to
seeing. That's not a criticism, just additional evidence that we desperately
need better interfaces to make getting some of this information easy. There
are - I think - 11 different binaries you invoke to get the various
bits of information
you need. While some of them could be replaced by inline calls to the Kstat
module, others clearly can't. Yet some of the information could just be stored
in kstats, which would make getting at it much easier.

I think what I'm saying is this: what can zonestat tell us about what additional
kstats should be kept, and what additional APIs would be useful to make writing
such utilities easier?

--
-Peter Tribble