Mike Gerdts writes:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Enda O'Connor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > To me they probably need a patch automation tool to tell them what is
> > currently available in terms of patching, and they see what they need
> > from that.
>
> Interface changes always have an associated ARC case ID with them,
> right?

It depends.

Many changes involving Project Private and Consolidation Private
interfaces have no ARC involvement at all.  For other projects, we
review them even when there are *no* interface changes, because the
projects have architectural features worth reviewing.

ARC review isn't just about interfaces, and in some cases the consumer
may want to know something more like "is the fix for known problem
Foobar installed?"

>  Why not make it so that the software that delivers an
> interface delivers some metadata that says that the interface
> specified in the ARC case is on the system.  Any time a patch or
> installation delivers, removes, or deprecates a feature (interface)
> this metadata would get updated.  A stable interface is then needed to
> query and update that metadata.

If I read that correctly, the query could be something like:

        if isinstalled PSARC/2008/123; then
        fi

If so, then that's a bit weird, but I guess it could be made to work.
It's not clear to me whether that's as useful as providing domain
specific feature tests.

It'd be better to start with a clear set of requirements and work down
to an implementation, I think.