Christine Tran wrote:
Hi, I'm sorry to bug the OpenSolaris for a question that pertains to
S10U8, but I am really stuck.

I am doing a zoneadm clone -m copy, and I do not want a new ZFS
dataset even though my zonepath is on a ZFS filesystem, for
performance reasons particular to how I am using my zones.
Unfortunately, zoneadm clone just ignores the "-m copy", and makes me
a new ZFS filesystem anyway; and by the speed with which it finished,
it certainly is a snapshot operation underneath.

I have tested with making the source zone on a separate UFS, have
pre-made a dirname under my ZFS filesystem as the zonepath, nothing
works.  I always get a new ZFS filesystem.  I see that zoneadm install
has an -x nodataset switch, I need this for zone clone as well.  I
have not seen this filed as a bug against S10, is there a work-around
to get the behavior I want?
I understand your dependency on having all your zones sharing the same dataset. From a quick look at the code it seems to me that your specifying -m copy is supposed to force a copy rather than a clone.

           if (method == NULL && is_zonepath_zfs(source_zonepath))
err = clone_zfs(source_zone, source_zonepath, zonepath);

               if (err != Z_OK)
                       err = clone_copy(source_zonepath, zonepath);

Since you're not getting this behavior, it may be a bug. However, you should also be aware that the -m copy functionality is not currently implemented in OpenSolaris. So this will be a problem for you in future, too. What you really need is the ability to do a move or rename between datasets in the same zpool.

There is an open RFE that I submitted about this issue when TX was first integrated. Maybe you can provide a business case why it should be escalated.

6483179 Provide an efficient way to rename a file to another dataset in same zpool

--Glenn

This is sort of a big deal for our application.  We use labeled zones,
a file move within a filesystem has a different performance profile
than a move from one filesystem to another filesystem, even within one
ZFS pool.  We are doing tens of thousands of move per minute.

CT