On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 12:23:30PM -0700, Michael Speer wrote:
> All,
>
> I have two questions based on what I have been seeing where I don't see
> packages of interest being
> installed into a zone I create when the package exists in the global zone.
>
> 1) Where is the list of packages kept that will be installed into new zone?
> How does this list get modified?

by default packages that get installed into a zone are specified in the
default AI manifest used to install zones.  you can find that manifest
here:

        /usr/share/auto_install/manifest/zone_default.xml

looking inside you can see that the default package that we install
(which determines which other packages get installed) is:

        group/system/solaris-small-server

you can also create your own AI manifest which specifies which packages
you'd like to have installed in the zone.

> 2) How do I use the pkg utility to install a package to an alternative root
> path?

pkg -R <path> install <packages>

but for zones it's better to boot them, zlogin, and then run pkg.

> 3) Do I need to create a new entire incorporation to overcome this issue?

no.

ed