Another way of doing it, though, would be to tell each instance which IP
to use at startup.

That way the config can be identical for all users, and there can be
whatever logic is required to figure out the right IP address, in the
place where logic executing anyhow.

I do agree that maintaining the myid file is ackward compared to other
approaches that are working elsewhere.  It's not really clear what
purpose the my id serves except to bind an ip address to a running instance.

cheers,
Eric

--
Eric Bowman