On 22 Dec 2005, at 03:10, Rob Miller wrote:
Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
I don't quite understand the distinction between "compatible with products written for Plone 2.1 but not with Plone 2.1", I can't see any sense in that route... it all comes back to one question: What is the goal for the 1.6 branch? What specific audience is it targeted at? I can see what it's apparently *not* targeted at: People who work with Plone 2.1 - including those that might be interested in taking up GenericSetup for their Plone product. I had thought that was our audience.

the original motivation behind my request for a CMF 1.6 release was so that it could be used as a basis for the next major Plone release, what is now being called Plone 2.5. this is because Plone would like to switch to using GenericSetup for its site instantiation and configuration, but using CMF 2.0 for our next release would cause too much breakage of Plone add-on products. CMF 1.6 makes it easier for Plone to not fall (again!) terribly behind CMF's development cycle.

Just to put this into perspective, this is not some life-and-death issue for me at this point, more a clarification issue. It wasn't clear to me how limited the target audience for CMF 1.6 really will be.

I think this brings up the need for a slightly more formalized planning and release process. Given the requisite backing by at least the main developers (meaning their agreement that they would actually use such a thing) I'd like to set up a release plan page on zope.org that explains a bit more what the goals for each major release are and which contains timing information as well. The Plone roadmap page at http://plone.org/roadmap (plone.org seems down currently) does a nice job in that regard.

By the way, my technical problem of satisfying dependencies on GenericSetup introduced by us switching to PAS without breaking a production Plone 2.1 site have been solved by simply using GenericSetup from the 1.6 branch and keeping everything else at CMF 1.5.4.

jens