Christian Theune wrote:

b) it's more convenient for developers

Why?

Early open port means: zopectl restart and reload in your browser immediately without getting "Connection refused". Dieter already mentioned this use case

I don't really buy that, but since it's configurable, it doesn't matter...

c) it's a good thing if you have 'smart' load balancers

How so?

Tres mentioned that to me: 'smart' load balancers can probe the server and decide that the port is there, but the response time is too high and won't include it in the pool again yet, but they can know that the port is already open again.

Again, I can only see this as being a bad thing:

LB: Hmmm, this one's alive but absolutely creamed, I better not send it any requests for a long time.

D'oh

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk