Andreas Jung wrote:

The usecase is pretty simple: you have a loadbalancer and remove one backend Zope. The LB detects the removal and stops forwarding request.
When the client comes back (means Zope opens the ports early) the LB
will start forwarding to the client although it might take a while until the Zope instance is really up and ready to serve request. So by opening
the ports late we are able to reduce the latency and avoid pending

Er yes, I know why this is a very good thing. I was commenting that I can't see why anyone would want anything else ;-)