Am 16.03.2009 um 03:53 schrieb Roger Ineichen:

> Hi Stephan, Wichert, Michael
>
>> Betreff: Re: [Zope3-checkins] [Checkins]
>> SVN:zope.app.component/trunk/setup.py set missing minimum version
>>
>> On Sunday 15 March 2009, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> If the package does not work with an older version of
>> zope.publisher
>>> than imho that version restriction *has* to be in setup.py.
>>
>> And what if I back-port the fix?
>>
>> We have done version specification like this in the Zope
>> packages before and it almost brought development to complete
>> halt, because versions would not match anymore.
>
> +1
>
> If one of several packages doesn't get updated with buildout
> is only possible if someone uses an index server which only
> have one of the both released packages available.

It is also possible if someone uses fixed versions in buildout (like
me) and starts to upgrade versions of individual packages step by step
to see if the current versions work together with the project code (as
I did).
It would be really helpful to know if an updated version requires new
versions of other packages before seeing that the tests break. The
version requirement produces is a much more explicit error message
than an ImportError (which was the reason I added the minimum version).

[...]
> Michael,
> can you explain what's happen that you didn't got the
> zope.publisher release? And was this problem solved
> after fixing the version or did you do something else too?

I described above what I did. Fixing the version did not help me
directly as this would require a new release of zope.app.component
first, but it might help somebody else after a release was done.

Yours sincerely,
--
Michael Howitz · m...@gocept.com · software developer