Benji York wrote:
> Lets say that someone adds two bug fixes to zope.foo (call them fix A
> and fix B) and then does a release.  Fix A requires zope.bar >= 1.5 and
> fix B doesn't.  If I want to benefit from fix B in my app (and don't use
> the feature fix A repaired), then I shouldn't be forced to upgrade
> zope.bar.

I don't think that's your call to make, it's the maintainer of
zope.foo's call.

> Another way to look at it: Just because a package's test suite won't
> pass without a particular version of a dependency doesn't mean that
> every user of the package needs that version of the dependency.

WRONG! If you use a package, you need to accept that its dependencies
are decided by its author. Guessing that you know better than its author
is a very dangerous game and leads to a path where you might as well not
bother using a package manager at all and just go back to hit'n'hope...

> If there were a way to ignore setup.py version requirements I'd be happy
> to have them and ignore them.

Wow...

> Alternatively (my preference) the package would set versions in its
> buildout using the KGS against which it works (plus any exceptions).

KGS will be a zope dead-end imnsho... It's useful, but I don't see
anyone outside the Zope community caring about it...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk