Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On 9 Oct 2006, at 17:10, Jim Fulton wrote:
I'll repeat that our commercial cluster is not the right place to host
zope.org. We can't really give volunteers the access to do what they need to
do.
Please explain why? There is no commercial customers on the boxes zope.org
services are on, outside of the load balancer and squid, which are not
necessary to make progress until things can be moved.

Because to do what people want to do, they think they need full sudo.
I'm not sure this is necessary.  For example, it's possible that
it would be enough for many interesting tasks to give people
the ability to sudo to the user zope.  We could do that.

Giving root access to those boxes is not a risk that we're willing
to take.

It's strange how that never used to be a problem before, and all of a sudden it is. Jim, remember us exchanging emails in 2005 about providing full sudo access for tasks like moving CMF from CVS to Subversion?

Nope, but I'll take you're word for it.

still have that whole email exchange. There was no discussion at all about full sudo access being a problem. Matter of fact you were all for people stepping up to solve problems.

I still am.

I would never have signed all those documents that gave me access as a non-employee if I had known every root-access sysadmin task had to be approved by ZC. If you take a look at http://www.zope.org/About there is a specific systems admin group mentioned. That's what I thought I signed up for. I guess I was mistaken.

This isn't my call.

I'm not going to judge whether it is right or wrong.

I'll just reiterate that zope.org needs to move.

Jim