Justizin wrote:
On 10/9/06, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 02:00:24PM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> | I don't have any mystic power that allows me to understand any Zope
> | application.  I am also not a CMF developer.
> That's something I never understood.
> It's not only a problem with Jim, but people that can understand the
> most obscure issues about memory management or deep C-level hackery,
> or insane operating system level APIs or and Linux kernel issues,
> sometimes with 5-10 years of Python experience, just state that they
> don't have enough knowledge to debug a random application.
> C'mon. There's not any magic going on there. The hardest issues you
> will face are Acquisition and Page Templates. Sometimes you have to
> just do it. Several times I've found myself in this situation. There's
> nothing that can't be understood by stepping through pdb all the way
> from BaseRequest to the guts of an application.
> I know it's tedious, and that it might take several tries until you
> realize what's exactly going on. But it is doable. There's a
> difference between 'I can't do it' and 'I don't want to do it'. Being
> in the latter group is fine, but I would say it's highly questionable
> for an experienced developer to put himself in the first group without
> a reasonable excuse.

It's not a question of debugging some isolated problem.  It's
a question of making a change to a large system that has been fraught
with problems.  A system that most people who work on zope.org
don't want to touch.  A system that was abandoned by it's original

Having said that, I said that I would be willing to work with someone
familiar with the zope.org software yo update ZWiki.  No one has stepped
forward yet. I wonder why.

Is there a reason you can't just see what happens when you bring up a
copy of zope.org with the latest ZWiki?

Do you have any idea how to bring up a copy of zope.org?  Do you know what
I would need to copy?  If it didn't work, would it be because I did
something wrong in the copy?  This is probably a large amount of work.

Is there a list of issues?

With what?

face this problem somewhat as well, though I can be blamed for most of
siggraph.org, some of it is legacy and it has taken me up to a year to
get some products out of the mix which were around before I started.

Sorry, I don't have a year to spend on zope.org.

Usually when new versions of upstream code come out, I bring them up
in dev.siggraph.org, poke at anything flaky I can think of, and ask
people to try it out for a month or so.  Any time something is broken
until we get this working, it's a sad state of affairs IMO, but it's
better than being dead in the water.

With enough effort we could create some kind of staging environment
for zope.org. I know that I couldn't commit the time necessary.