Tres Seaver wrote:

Stephan Richter wrote:

On Friday 05 August 2005 09:46, Benji York wrote:

By my estimations(i hope i'm not wrong :) C version gives ~20-26% speed
up for different methods.

Running the functional tests for a Zope 3 based systems with 434 tests
yielded (best of 3) a time of 1:12.51 for the trunk and 1:12.32 for the
branch.  That's about a 0.25 percent improvement.

That's a bad argument. Several projects only use zope.interface and its adapter registry (for example twisted). For them a 20-26% improvement for the adapter lookup would be significant. Just because other parts of Zope 3 are even slower and use more time than the adapter lookup, it does not have to mean that this is a bad/insufficient improvement.

The tradeoff is complexity / loss of maintainability vs. speedup.  If
Benji's measurements hold up, we would be taking on the burden of
maintaining a parallel C implementation (in sync with the "canonical" C
version) within our project, for the (possible) benefit to other projects.

I also hope that in this case (unlike some other cases in the Zope 3 source code), a parallel Python version *will* be maintained and continue to be tested. I ran into some problem with non-functioning stuff (debugging logs) in the security implementation, most likely because of a C implementation getting hooked in after the original code was written (compounded by there being no tests to verify whether the security logging facility worked).

The big question is of course what the impact on the performance of a typical Zope 3 application will be. If it's minimal it's not really worth it.

Note that projects like PyPy are getting there slowly but steadily -- it's possible that in a year's time we may only need to do minimal tweaking of Python code to benefit from compilation-level benefits. In the mean time, Pyrex is another avenue that might be worthwhile exploring.

Regards,

Martijn