Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 5:37 PM
Subject: [Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 web root

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:51:34 -0000, Chris Withers

> Scripts and RBDMS are the fast food of the web development world, not

> the salad. Looks nice, tastes great, eventually leaves you fat and
> unhealthy. ZODB and maybe an ORM is the greens for me, it might not be

> to everyone's taste at first, but it's the best option in the long

I think that's certainly true for content-centric applications, which is

what people seem to build the most of in Zope. But if you were storing
million records of numbers and short strings that you needed to query
across multiple dimensions, you'd probably put them in postgresql.

Zope 3 should really have a better story on SQL. Not replace the ZODB,
show how in your code you best deal with an RDBMS. I think that should
leverage existing python APIs and ORM tools (I think there's a place for

both SQL-style queries and ORM, depending on how much you need "ad-hoc"

queries or at least complex, one-off representations of data, and how
you need one logical view of your data), but there should be patterns
integration layers (if needed) to show how to get data from an RDBMS
a view, how to make an edit form for that data, and how to integrate
with the rest of your probably content-centric application.