On Sep 4, 2006, at 3:23 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

Christian Theune wrote:
Why? Because we keep changing stuff and don't tell people in VERY LARGE
LETTERS about it.

Actually, you highlighted the wrong bit, the important bit is:

BECAUSE WE KEEP CHANGING STUFF

This is really the central point (or, at least, IMO, the most important point) in this thread. Zope 3 was declared ready for production because people were using it in production, but with some major caveats:

1. It doesn't have all of the functionality of Zope 2.

2. It is (or was) changing rapidly.

People who used Zope 3 should have been made aware of these issues. Maybe there weren't.

We tried to ease the changes through deprecation warnings. We should probably have done a better job of including corrective information in the messages, but we certainly tried to be informative. We've also tried very hard to be backward compatible.

I do think the rate of change needs to decrease and I'm pretty confident it will. The local-registration changes in 3.3 are the biggest remaining API/Architectural change I'm aware of.

I think that the biggest change ahead will be in redoing the packaging to:

- be egg friendly, if not egg-centric,

- finally define a core to Zope 3 that is fairly minimal and unchanging.

This will lead to many things moving out of zope.app. I expect that this will be the last major API change.

I think in the future, we should resist minor api tweaks just to improve spelling slightly.

I agree`that Zope 3 APIs need to stabilize and I'm hopeful that we are reaching a point where that will become possible.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org