On 11 Apr 2007, at 12:57 , Stephan Richter wrote:
On Tuesday 10 April 2007 18:12, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
   - I think we need to tag all individual packages as well.

   - If so, WHO tags them? (I would hope that we can determine
maintainers for each zope.* package who will start maintaining the release cycles of the individual packages). Tagging basically also
     means updating setup.py.

- Who physically creates the eggs and uploads them to the CheeseShop
     and/or download.zope.org?

- That last point raises another question: Do we upload things to the
     CheeseShop, to download.zope.org or to both?

Reading those questions convinced me that we are not ready for an egg-based
release.

That's right, we're not. That's why I'm asking to lay out procedures so that we will be ready when we actually do the release.

The overhead for the release manager is far too great. even with the
simple approach it took about 0.5-1 day; I would think it takes more than
that now.

My point was not to put that additional work that eggs have created on the release manager's TODO list, but to spread it over "small release managers" that maintain one or a couple of eggs out of the whole Zope distribution.

I think we need some tools for this first. something that allows us to say: for packages x, y, and z do the following: Create a tag, change setup.py, and then create the egg. If we do not have this tool, every release will be a
major pain.

For 3.4, such a tool would certainly be cool because this will be the first time we'll be releasing lots of eggs at pretty much the same time. The question is whether it will also be the last time :).