On May 31, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

Benji York wrote:
Even if developers remembered, it would be icky to have to spell out something like >=3.4 <=3.99 on everwhere.
Not as icky (IMHO) as having distribution names with embedded major version numbers. I'm interested in other people's opinions here.

I'm definitely in agreement here. Everytime I type BTreeFolder2 I feel like someone's killing a kitten somewhere.

It's a shame setuptools doesn't take care of this properly :-/

(where my definition of properly is that "major releases" like 2.0, 3.0 are assumed to be backwards incompatible such that 3.0 won't satisfy a >=2.0)

That's not an unreasonable definition of "properly" given a very specific interpretation of version numbers. Unfortunately, most people don't seem to follow that interpretation. setuptools reasonably has to be less restrictive in it's interpretation of version numbers.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org