Benji York wrote:
Even if developers remembered, it would be icky to have to spell out something like >=3.4 <=3.99 on everwhere.

Not as icky (IMHO) as having distribution names with embedded major version numbers. I'm interested in other people's opinions here.

I'm definitely in agreement here. Everytime I type BTreeFolder2 I feel like someone's killing a kitten somewhere.

It's a shame setuptools doesn't take care of this properly :-/

(where my definition of properly is that "major releases" like 2.0, 3.0 are assumed to be backwards incompatible such that 3.0 won't satisfy a >=2.0)