On May 31, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
I don't see how this helps one say that they want to depend on a minimum version of a major version. That is, how does it prevent dependencies like:
    foo >=1.0 <1.999
?
I'm wondering how Gentoo got *that* right.

I wonder if the package should have something in it's setup.py that says "I won't be compatible with anything expecting version" <2.0 ?

You say that by sayng that you require >=2. (I suspect a typo on your part.)

This would end up as metadata on pypi or in the egg/.tar.gz and setuptools could do the "hard work" of resolving the dependencies...

Setuptools doesn't try that hard. Someday, buildout will try a lot harder -- when necessary.

It also removes the burden of specifying maximum revision numbers on the consuming packages and puts it where it belongs: on the maintainer of the package who knows if it's going to be backwards compatible or not..

I don't understand that argument. You still have to state a requirement. Maybe I don't understand your proposal.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org