On 24 Aug 2007, at 19:27 , Dieter Maurer wrote:
Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2007-8-24 15:34 +0200:
This and other aspects are things I don't particularly love about
PEP8 either, but I value consistency over my personal preferences.

I do honor other people's
decisions though, and would always follow the original author's style.
Consistency is better than correctness in this case. (I usually
tend to value
correctness higher than consistency.)

Well, this may sound harsh, but I see some appeal in actually forcing
a particular coding-style on everybody. It's soo late for anything
that has been started already, but I don't see a reason why we simply
can't say:

  If you start a new project on svn.zope.org, it'll have to be in
PEP8 styling.

The rule being behind this (as already mentioned above), that
consistency values higher than personal preferences.

Sure, you can say it...
But, you will loose some packages...

I find it very stupid to prescribe whilespace rules and
'_' separation versus camelCase spelling.

I wonder how you can like this language with significant whitespaces and lots of underscore rules then :).

In any way, this is a guide, not law. I can't and won't force you to adhere to the style guide. But I'll nag you and other people will surely find it difficult working with inconsistenly style code. (I, for one, find the ZODB externals *extremely* difficult to work with for total lack of naming conventions).