Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
 David Pratt wrote:
> Hi. I am concerned about the announcement of python 3000 today that
> will break backwards compatibility. Zope and twisted are my
> favorite frameworks. The code base for both frameworks are not
> small. I haven't evaluated the changes but I can say this is a not
> great day for the python community either. I can see this dividing
> folks between present and future.
> Particularly, I'm thinking about incompatibilities developing
> around packages and dependencies through some sort of drawn out
> transition by the python community that may take years. Has anyone
> thoughts or comments about python 3000 implications for zope?
> Unfortunately, my first thoughts are that Python 3000 feels like
> Y2K for python :-(. Many thanks.

 We're currently struggling to get to Python 2.5 (which isn't exactly
 fresh out of the oven) mostly due to incompatibilities that it
 introduced compared to Python 2.4. So when Guido says Py3k will allow
 incompatible changes for the "first time", it'll be hard to imagine
 how big the implications really are. It's especially hard to imagine
 because Py3k isn't done yet. Will the stdlib be reorganized? Who
 knows. I sure would like to see this '2to3' tool tackle the Zope
 codebase. C extensions, anyone?

In fact Python 2.5 porting was not as much difficult as predicted in an old thread [1]. Nikhil has completed porting to Python 2.5 as part of Google Summer of Code project [2].
But we cannot officially support Python 2.5 until Zope 2 is also ported.
(This is a policy of Zope Foundation, I guess)
But we can give support for individual packages, is it ?

May be we can try Python 3.0 porting in next GSoC ? :)

Baiju M