Dieter Maurer wrote:
Therefore, it might be helpful, if the known working set would not
need to be a singleton (consists of just one element).

Assume the following use case:

  I use grok to build one of my applications.
  I need a another component as well which conflicts with grok.
  I override the grok configuration to get the version required
  for the other component.
  I run the grok testsuite and can then report to the grok community:
  "grok" is working with version V of component C as well.

This kind of information would be helpful for integrators.
It need not necessary be automatically supported by "buildout".

As far as I understand your use case, i twould already be covered by my original proposal: you always have the option to locally override what's specified in the working set.

But I do agree that it should be possible to rely on other working sets, e.g. Grok application develoeprs relying on the Grok working set which in turn relies on a Zope working set.