On 25 Sep 2007, at 18:41 , Brian Sutherland wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 01:13:00AM +0200, Roger Ineichen wrote:
I think we will split packages in its base parts.
For exapmle this means we will create a package zope.session
that contains the python api and degrade zope.app.session
to contain the zmi views.

Personally, I think this is the way to go. i.e. to separate the UI from
the python API in separate eggs.

That way the python API egg can have relatively few dependencies, and
thus be more useful to more people.  The UI egg is then useful to
whoever wants to bring in all the dependencies and conform to the UI.

It's very strange the way Zope3 mixes high-level code (css, html,
pagetemplates) with low-level python APIs. Basically forcing you to have (and manage) lots of dependencies even if you only want the python API.

After pondering about a while, I think this is probably a very good solution. It should help us reduce the package interdependencies quite a lot, at least on the Python-only level.

It should also add meaning back to the "zope.app" namespace.

Note that I've seen checkins that add deprecation warnings. Even worse, they're talking about removing stuff in the future. I thought we had reached the consensus that we weren't going to remove stuff anymore. In other words, that we were never ever going to break backwards-compatibility again.

I think we should just not raise any deprecation warnings at all. Just the imports for BBB and be done with it.