I sent roughly this email directly to Shane Hathaway, since I hadn't asked for any help on Zope, yet, so didn't know where to look. Maybe this was a better avenue? If you read this list, Shane (or Mr. Hathaway, if you prefer), respond on whichever seems more appropriate, I guess. I don't know, let me know if I'm missing some etiquette point.

Anyways, I'm using Ape 1.0 set-up in the root of Zope 2.7.2 install, based on the example fs config, and that is working fine. I was having a problem where some change was making that Zope instance not even get far enough in booting to write to the event.log (set to level all). I narrowed it down to adding a local role on the security tab of the root object. I revert the .properties file and restart - it works. I make the change again and restart - it doesn't. I diff the file, and the only difference is the define-role line. The problem is I have no idea where to start even, since no errors are thrown where I know to find them. Zope just doesn't respond at all when I try to restart it, and writes nothing to the log.

If anyone could tell me what I can do to at least track down the problem, if not fix it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim