Tim Nash wrote at 2008-2-7 13:21 -0800:
>>From what I have read online, the things that slow zope down are
>primarily the numerous security checks

In modern Zope versions you can use Zope 3 views.
The corresponding templates are trusted.

For earlier Zope versions, there is "TrustedExecutables" (they do not
yet work for Zope 2.10).

>and the large number of objects
>that need to be written to the zodb when you save a document.

I doubt that the large number of objects is the real reason.
The large number of objects result from full text indexing:
the object is inserted into the document list for each word it
contains. However, full text indexing is slow and expensive - independent
from the insertion into the document lists.

Obtain a profile and check whether this is really true....

>Has anyone rated the
>performance of say DTML vs ZPT?

DTML is likely to be faster: it has a C implementation and is
simpler than ZPT. I expect a factor of about 4.

However, very often the total time is not dominated by the
rendering itself but e.g. determining the values that should be rendered.

--
Dieter