----- Original Message ----- From: "Dieter Maurer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
quizzical wrote at 2008-2-6 16:03 -0800:
Apologies if this is a dumb question, I have had a good look through the
archives and on the web. My question is basically about how to design a
website. I really like the ease with which you can build applications in
zope but I often see comments implying that in order to scale well one may
want to use a backend relational datbase. I have also seen several comments
to the effect that one should keep the state of a user session out of the

I am slightly confused by this, I can't find any information which would
help me decide what data would be better off in a relational database.

A relational database is good when you have large amounts
of strictly structured data -- e.g. millions of user records
where each user record has a fews fields with atomic datatypes.

For example pricelists etc. But you need to make join with ZODB - with hyperlink (URL1) or ZODB folder object property

The ZODB is good when you have weakly structured or unstructured data
and your write rate is not too high.

ZODB effectivity is very high at tree structured data, as catalogues etc

I use ZODB as catalogue container and RDB as pricelist at one travel agency site. If you want to know which, I will send you ULR to private mail and make some source view method for you. But it is written in pure DTML, few computing-intensive parts are in Python (tree structure, etc) and ZSQL to MSSQL. No sql-inject is possible thanks to DTML ;-)

Near all other my webs are pure ZODB and uses SQL to store forms data only.

Pure SQL driven web I use only for our own ERP, at ZODB are only DTML and bunch of ZSQL.

The ZODB uses an almost self describing format. Therefore, it can
store virtually everything, without any data model fixed beforehand.
However, this leads to high redundancy and efficiency loss.

It is possible to use some products like linux symlink to avoid data duplicates.

Regards, JL.