As a programmer I'm very concerned about ! as a line terminator.
Consider this abc fragment:

abc abc|!trill!abc abc| abc abc |

- all well and good.

Now add two line terminators (presumably not illegal)

abc abc|!trill! abc abc|! abc abc |! abc abc|

how does a program distinguish between the !trill! command and a command
! abc abc|! which may be a command for a feature which it knows nothing
about?

Are we to assume that double line terminators are illegal - but then
what about

abc abc|!a!b!bc abc|

- which is the command, !a! or !b!  and which ! is the line terminator

(and if you say there is no command !a! or !b! then I say "but there
might be in a future expansion of the special characters".)

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland