>> [!...!] is peculiar to abcm2ps
> It's in the new standard 1.6
>> and will completely screw up ABC2WIN (which uses ! as a line terminator).
> Strikes me that it's abc2win which is up the gum tree for this one.
> And I find very strange stuff in abc2win:
>
> a) +..+ for chords
> b) the writing of grace notes as 1/16th notes rather than 1/8th as below
> c) doesn't allow change of metre/key in the middle

The second has nothing to do with ABC, it's a display issue.  The first
is no longer an issue; ABC2WIN users stopped doing it years ago (it was
in a very old ABC standard).  The last is a limitation of the sort many
implementations have; in this case it doesn't matter because (if it's
still there) ABC2WIN can't process *any* ABC representation of the music,
whatever syntax we were to choose to represent key/metre change.  It
isn't the syntax that's boggling the program, it's the music itself.

But there are thousands of tunes out there using ! as a line terminator;
like it or not, that is one feature of ABC2WIN's syntax that caught on.
They matter more than any one application.