In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, I. Oppenheim
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>> >When a bang appears at the very END of such an input
>> >line, it forces a line break in the music OUTPUT.
>>
>> The end itself forces a line break, no?
>
>The newline only marks the end of the INPUT line; where
>the line breaks will be in the resulting OUTPUT is up
>to the software to decide.

>If the user wants to overrule the default layout
>algorithm, he can force a line break by ending the
>input line with a !

The standard says that the end of input causes and end of output line. I
quote:

"Generally one line of abc notation will produce one line of music,
althought if the music is too long it will overflow onto the next line".

[The start of the very last paragraph]

The implication is that if you write

abc abc|
abc abc|

Then you will get 2 lines of music.

I see no reason for an ! except inside a line a la abc2win. At least not
according to 1.7.6

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland