On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Bernard Hill wrote:

> >According to the BNF definition
> >http://www.norbeck.nu/abc/abcbnfx.htm
> >
> >The bang is NOT a line terminator; the newline (\n)
> >terminates the INPUT line.
> >
> >When a bang appears at the very END of such an input
> >line, it forces a line break in the music OUTPUT.

> I don't understand what you are saying at all.
> According to a previous writer,
>
> abc abc|!bcd bcd|
>
> is equivalent to
>
> abc abc|
> bcd bcd|
>
> IOW the ! simulates a line break.

No, that is the idiosyncrasy of the ABC2WIN program or
what it was called. It is obvious that that won't work
together with the !...! notation.

On the contrary, the way it is defined in the above BNF
standard (have you actually read it?) works quite well.

> >When a bang appears at the very END of such an input
> >line, it forces a line break in the music OUTPUT.
>
> The end itself forces a line break, no?

The newline only marks the end of the INPUT line; where
the line breaks will be in the resulting OUTPUT is up
to the software to decide.

If the user wants to overrule the default layout
algorithm, he can force a line break by ending the
input line with a !

I hope it's now a bit more clear...

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim