| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Robinson
| >>
| >> K:A_b^f^c
| >> shouldn't that have a G# also since you've written K:A?
| >
| >It definitely shouldn't have a G#, since the Gs aren't sharp.
|
| So you are saying that
|
| K:A  has 3 sharps
|
| K:A _b has no sharps and one flat instead?
|
| This is totally illogical. I can understand K:A _b to mean 3 sharps and
| add a b flat but what now is the significance of the A?

It's quite logical.

K:A     has a tonic but no scale information, so we assume major (^f^c^g).

K:Amix  has a tonic and a mode; the signature is ^f^c.

K:A_B   has a tonic and a key signature, which is _B

K:_B    has no tonic, but a signature, which is _B.  Maybe it's F or Dm.

You assume a major scale if they don't give you any clues  about  the
scale.

Knowing the tonic is always nice, but standard staff  notation  shows
that  it  isn't  necessary.  Experience with abc shows that musicians
like to know the tonic anyway, and classical terminology often  tells
you the tonic and mode in the title, so we should encourage it.

An example of an unnecessary tonic, from a klezmer context:

K:^G

could mean either K:D^G or K:E^G.  There are other possibilities, but
these are the two most likely.  Of course, you can usually tell which
it is by the end of the first bar, but it's nice to  know  up  front.
And  it's  especially  nice if you're asking the computer to find you
some tunes in E something.