In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Robinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 05:11:44PM +0100, Bernard Hill wrote:
>> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Robinson
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>> >It definitely shouldn't have a G#, since the Gs aren't sharp.
>>
>> So you are saying that
>>
>> K:A  has 3 sharps
>>
>> K:A _b has no sharps and one flat instead?
>>
>> This is totally illogical. I can understand K:A _b to mean 3 sharps and
>> add a b flat but what now is the significance of the A?
>
>As I said, Amix would have been better.
>
>What I was trying to notate was a key signature of Bb f# c#
>
>So, having clarified my mind, I hope, thanks to John, either
>K:Amix Bb
>or
>K:A _Bb ^f ^c
>since in the 1st, stating the mode brings its keysig in, and in the 2nd,
>not stating it doesn't imply any key signature.
>
>In either case, the significance of the A is that it's the root note of
>the tune.
>
>> The root note is totally irrelevant to anything.
>
>I don't think so.
>
>>                                                  As you indicate,
>> sometimes there is argument about it anyway.
>
>I said I might change my mind about what it is. That hardly implies that
>it doesn't exist. But the indication that I'd think about it suggests
>that I'd then like to record it. As I can.
>
>>                                              Now I don't really mind
>> having minor keys as they are well established, and maybe even the modes
>
>Very tolerant of you .... ;)

Well they're not really needed now, are they? There's no separate
notation for them.

However I had not allowed for the use of abc files as a database. In
that case I can see a use for a tonic= or mode description.

>> but in the case of made-up key signatures described exactly in a K:
>> format I don't see the point. Make that K:_b^f^c in your example above.
>
>As above, I wouldn't want to have to throw the root note away. Why
>should I, what's the advantage ?

As I have proposed in another post, how about

K:_b^f^c tonic=A

?

Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland