On 11 Jun 2004, at 01:40, Jon Freeman wrote:

From: "Stephen Kellett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Write a monitor process that monitors your abcm2ps processes. Any
process that has been at a high CPU for more than X time, kill it. Or
modify abcm2ps to include a monitor thread to do the same task (better
as it'll know how long each tune processing has taken).

I must admit I had not read you post properly last time round. Are you
suggesting that it could be possible to have a version of abcm2ps that could
watch itself and terminate itself if it did get out of control? I wouldn't
have the first clue where to start but if that sort of idea is feasible, I
am intrested.

It might be simpler to just kill the program after a short period of time
every time it's used. In this application where only single tunes are
being processed the program should have finished and quit in less than
a second, so if you can add something to the script to kill it after five
seconds that should do the job.

A better solution would be to find a tune which causes this behaviour and
send it to Jeff so he can fix the bug ( but of course that presupposes that
you notice it happening when you're using it yourself).

Phil Taylor