From: "Stephen Kellett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Freeman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >I must admit I had not read you post properly last time round.  Are you
> >suggesting that it could be possible to have a version of abcm2ps that
could
> >watch itself and terminate itself if it did get out of control?  I
wouldn't
> >have the first clue where to start but if that sort of idea is feasible,
> >am intrested.
>
> Yes, entirely possible. How you'd do it would depend on the operating
> system. If it was Windows I could do it for you trivially. If it was
> Unix I'd have to dust off some books and do some research.

I presume that this approach would have a new thread within abcm2ps?  And
perhaps something that if I ever decided to upgrade abcm2ps, I'd be able to
compile/link in myself using a make file to save troubling others? If I am
understanding this correctly, I'm very interested in giving it a try and
seeing how it works out. I believe I'm on Windows 2000 Server and may get
upgraded to 2003.

> > Then Phil Taylor writes:
> >It might be simpler to just kill the program after a short period of
> >time every time it's used.  In this application where only single tunes
> > are being processed the program should have finished and quit in
> > less than a second, so if you can add something to the script to kill it
after
>  >five seconds that should do the job.

> Yes, if that is the invocation pattern, that approach is fine. I wasn't
> sure if abcm2ps used in this context stayed around waiting for another
> request. I think 5 seconds may be a bit on the low side. If the shared
> server just happened to get a lot of work at the same time the user of
> abcm2ps may get they valid job dumped too soon.

Again, please forgive my ignorance... abcm2ps is called from a php script
but if I am understanding things correctly, I'm not sure I like this idea.
It seems to me that either one would be calling up a separate program each
time abcm2ps was called up or in some way committing my script to keep
running for X seconds where under normal circumstances it would be done in <
1 second.  Maybe I am reading this wrongly but to me it sounds as if
although it may protect me from the occasional disaster, usually, I'd likely
to tying up more resources for longer.

Jon