In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
I must admit I had not read you post properly last time round.  Are you
suggesting that it could be possible to have a version of abcm2ps that could
watch itself and terminate itself if it did get out of control?  I wouldn't
have the first clue where to start but if that sort of idea is feasible, I
am intrested.

Yes, entirely possible. How you'd do it would depend on the operating system. If it was Windows I could do it for you trivially. If it was Unix I'd have to dust off some books and do some research.

Then Phil Taylor writes:
>It might be simpler to just kill the program after a short period of time
>every time it's used. In this application where only single tunes are
>being processed the program should have finished and quit in less than
>a second, so if you can add something to the script to kill it after five
>seconds that should do the job.

Yes, if that is the invocation pattern, that approach is fine. I wasn't sure if abcm2ps used in this context stayed around waiting for another request. I think 5 seconds may be a bit on the low side. If the shared server just happened to get a lot of work at the same time the user of abcm2ps may get they valid job dumped too soon.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk