In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Freeman
I presume that this approach would have a new thread within abcm2ps? And

Yes. Main thread executing, 2nd thread monitoring. If 2nd thread notices 1st thread has been running for too long it can either kill the program or just kill the first thread. I'll write you some code if you are interested. I'm busy this weekend, but after Monday I can do it for you. Shouldn't take me long.

Again, please forgive my ignorance... abcm2ps is called from a php script
but if I am understanding things correctly, I'm not sure I like this idea.
It seems to me that either one would be calling up a separate program each
time abcm2ps was called up or in some way committing my script to keep
running for X seconds where under normal circumstances it would be done in <
1 second.

You misunderstand. Your app would run for its normal duration, but it for some reason it went awry and started running for long periods of time the monitoring app (or thread) would notice the extra time and then kill it. If your app normally ran for < 1s normally, it would continue to do so, except in the case where things go wrong (which is what you want to detect).

Regards

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett