Wednesday, February 12, 2003, 11:18:50 PM, Shane Legg wrote:

SL> Cliff Stabbert wrote:

CS> What I'm getting at is an attempt at an external definition or at
CS> least telltale of conscious behaviour as either "that which is not
CS> compressible" or "that which although apparently compressible for some
CS> period, suddenly changes later" or perhaps "that which is not
CS> compressible to less than X% of the original data" where X is some
CS> largeish number like 60-90.

SL> This seems to be problematic to me.  For example, a random string
SL> generated by coin flips is not compressible at all so would you
SL> say that it's alive?

No, although it does take something living to flip the coins; but
presumably it's non-random (physically predictable by observing
externals) from the moment the coin has been flipped.  The decision to
call heads or tails however is not at all as *easily* physically
predictable, perhaps that's what I'm getting at.  But I understand
your point about compressibility (expanded below).

SL> Back in the mid 90's when complexity theory
SL> was cool for a while after chaos theory there was a lot of talk
SL> about "the edge of chaos".  One way to look at this is to say that
SL> alive systems seem to have some kind of a fundamental balance between
SL> randomness and extreme compressibility.  To me this seems obvious and
SL> I have a few ideas on the matter.  Many others investigated the subject
SL> but as far as I know never got anywhere.

Yes, that's what seems interesting to me.  Life creates patterns
localized in time and space, and as the time- and space- horizons are
broadened, the patterns break down to be replaced by different ones.
Based on our own history it would appear the patterns get replaced
more and more quickly: the tides are more predictable than the
behaviour of an ant, the ants are more predictable than a wolf, the
wolves are more predictable than a human in 800 B.C., and the human in
800 B.C. is more predictable than the human in 2003 A.D.

In that sense, Singularity Theory seems to be a statement of the
development of life's (Kolmogorov?) complexity over time.

SL> Chaitin, one of the founders of Kolmogorov complexity theory did
SL> some similar work some time ago,

SL> http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/chaitin79toward.html

Thanks for the reference!  From the abstract, this is indeed akin to
what I was getting at.  Might be over my head, see below.

CS> The reason I'm thinking in these terms is because I suspected Ockham's
CS> razor to relate to the compressibility idea as you stated; and I've

SL> Sounds to me like you need to read Li and Vitanyi's book on
SL> Kolmogorov complexity theory :)

SL> http://www.cwi.nl/~paulv/kolmogorov.html

Ah, it looks like I should read this -- both you and James Rogers have
referred me to this work.

To ask another question: given that I only had math up to
differential calculus, and have forgotten most of that, can you
recommend (a) good (text)book(s) to get me grounded in the
mathematical/information theory concepts necessary to understand the
above?  Thanks in advance.

--
Cliff