Hi Cliff,

Sorry about the delay... I've been out sailing watching the America's
Cup racing --- just a pity my team keeps losing to the damn Swiss! :(

Anyway:

Cliff Stabbert wrote:

SL> This seems to be problematic to me.  For example, a random string
SL> generated by coin flips is not compressible at all so would you
SL> say that it's alive?

No, although it does take something living to flip the coins; but
presumably it's non-random (physically predictable by observing
externals) from the moment the coin has been flipped.  The decision to
call heads or tails however is not at all as *easily* physically
predictable, perhaps that's what I'm getting at.  But I understand
your point about compressibility (expanded below).
Well I could always build a machine to flip coins...  Or pulls lottery
balls out of a spinning drum for that matter.

Is such a thing predictable, at least in theory?  I have read about
this sort of thing before but to be perfectly honest I don't recall
the details... perhaps the Heisenberg principle makes it impossible
even in theory.  You would need to ask a quantum physicist I suppose.

more and more quickly: the tides are more predictable than the
behaviour of an ant, the ants are more predictable than a wolf, the
wolves are more predictable than a human in 800 B.C., and the human in
800 B.C. is more predictable than the human in 2003 A.D.

In that sense, Singularity Theory seems to be a statement of the
development of life's (Kolmogorov?) complexity over time.
Well it's hard to say actually. An ant is less complex than a human,
but an ant really only makes sense in the context of the nest that it
belongs to and, if I remember correctly, the total neural mass of some
ants nests is about the same as that of a human brain. Also whales
have much larger brains than humans and so are perhaps more complex
in some physical sense at least.

A lot of people in complexity believed that there was an evolutionary
pressure driving system to become more complex. As far as I know there
aren't any particularly good results in this direction -- though I don't
exactly follow it much.

Cheers
Shane