The other text book that I know is by Cristian S. Calude, the Prof. of
complexity theory that I studied under here in New Zealand.  A new
version of this book just recently came out.  Going by the last version,
the book will be somewhat more terse than the Li and Vitanyi book and
thus more appropriate for professional mathematicans who are used to
that sort of style.  The Li and Vitanyi book is also a lot broader in
its content.... thus for you I'd recommend the Li and Vitanyi book which
is without doubt THE book in the field, as James already pointed out.

There should be a new verson (third edition) of Li and Vitanyi sometime
this year which will be interesting.  Li and Vitanyi have also written
quite a few introductions to the basics of the field many of which you
should be able to find on the internet.

Cheers
Shane

The Li and Vitanyi book is actually intended to be a graduate-level text in
theoretical computer science (or so it says on the cover) and is formatted
like a math textbook. It assumes little and pretty much starts from the
beginning of the field; you should have no problems accessing the content.

It is a well-written book, which is a good thing since it is sort of THE
text for the field with few other choices.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]