On 27 June 2010 21:25, John G. Rose <johnr...@polyplexic.com> wrote:

> It's just that something like world hunger is so complex AGI would have to
> master simpler problems.

I am not sure that that follows necessarily. Computing is full of situations
where a seemingly simple problem is not solved and a more complex one is. I
remember posting some time ago on Cassini.

> Also, there are many people and institutions that have solutions to world
> hunger already and they get ignored.

Indeed. AGI in the shape of a search engine would find these solutions.
World Hunger might well be soluble *simply because so much work has already
been done.* AGI might well start off as search and develop into feasibility
ans solutions.

> So an AGI would have to get established over a period of time for anyone to
> really care what it has to say about these types of issues. It could
> simulate things and come up with solutions but they would not get
> implemented unless it had power to influence. So in addition AGI would need
> to know how to make people listen... and maybe obey.

This is CRESS. CRESS would be an accessible option.

> IMO I think AGI will take the embedded route - like other types of computer
> systems - IRS, weather, military, Google, etc. and we become dependent
> intergenerationally so that it is impossible to survive without. At that
> point AGI's will have power to influence.

Look! The point is this:-

1) An embedded system is AI not AGI.

2) AGI will arise simply because all embedded systems are themselves
searchable.

  - Ian Parker