I was looking at lighttpd performance
(at http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/Docs%3APerformance )

Considering how well AOLserver stands up to lighttpd, my question was why does
lighttpd do better?

For sending small files AOLserver is slightly better, but then performance
goes down.

One reason might be that lighttpd uses a syscall that sends the file directly
to the network adapter, bypassing lighttpd. I wonder if AOLserver does this,
or if it is possible to detect errors in the webserver if the whole file
isn't sent.

Another reason might be that lighttpd doesn't write an access.log by default.
I wonder if you can turn this off in AOLserver? Or, if not, can the benchmark
be run for lighttpd with the access.log enabled:

http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/Docs%3AModAccessLog

With multi-cpus and lighttpd processes, lighttpd might mess up the access.log
writing, but if these writes are taken out of the performance equation, it
sure gives lighttpd a headstart.

Are there any hints on how to setup the benchmarking? I can run one here on a
1cpu/2core/64bit laptop.

If we can establish a benchmarking suite, it would help test various setting
for ns_limits and ns_pools.

It would also be interesting to see benchmarks under misbehaving clients.

One other factor is number of disks. Lighttpd recommends 2 x number of disks
to determine processes, although it seems like this wouldn't be such an easy
choice.

Ideas?

tom jackson