Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:49:12 -0400
From: "Chris Pawlowicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: clutch install e28 535i

Randy asks
> To remove shift lever unlock bearing retaining ring by a quarter turn
> cc. I get an eighth turn using long
> needle nose pliers then hit the wall. What has to happen to create
success.

the shift lever is removed UP into the car

you can turn the plastic ball-and-socket piece from inside the car (or
underneath) by using a couple of screwdrivers across each other.. turn and
pull up.. it's only a 1/8 or 1/4 turn to release it

you have to remove the circlip holding the bottom of the shift lever to the
connecting rod (which goes forward to the transmission) first

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'99 Z3 2.8