Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:08:32 -0700
From: JKerouac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Jamie Howton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fart Sensors

If methane originates inside the car, is it wise to switch to recirculate?
Possibly add another sensor, and if there is only one occupant, the
driver, then recirculate would be ok since it is easy to smell the
noxious emissions of others while it remains difficult for most people
to smell their own. =-O
Barry

------------------------------

On an automotive note, I recall reading about a detector in the HVAC system
of some Mercedes Benz automobiles.  When it detects unpleasant smells, it
switches the system to recirculate.  I always wondered how it knew that the
unpleasant smells were coming from OUTSIDE the car?

Scott, this feature is also available on BMWs.  My E39 has this capability where the
HVAC system automatically switches to and from recirculate.

Steve Albrecht

------------------------------

Some E34s had this also.  The sensor is near the cold air intake for the
engine.
Gary Derian

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:18:16 -0400
From: Martin Bullen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Front Seatback Removal

I need to remove the passenger-side front seatback (or, at least, the
cover) to get at the broken seat back tilt-cable.

Chris Connor's website, http://m3.digital7.com/vaderswap.php is very
useful, but I'm stalled at one of the first steps:  I cannot find the 2
torx screws he mentions as holding on the seatback; other postings in
the archives while inspirationally useful also don't locate these
screws.  The only ones I can find are the two under the seat towards
the back, that hold on a plastic cover that stop you scraping your
shoes on a metal stiffening bar.

Where are those two missing screws?

The car is a 6/94 M3 with manual heated Vaders.

TIA.

Martin Bullen
'95 M3
'97 Z3 2.8

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:38:58 -0400
From: "KMS - Brett Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "UUC Digest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Front Seatback Removal

There is no seat back cover on the early Vader seats.

The surface that you can see from the back seat is the seat shell.

The leather is wrapped around it's edges and tucked in, tight.  You need to
remove the two staples securing the leather cover to the shell, down in a
similar position to where the write up you mention shows the screws.

Then you need to pull the leather out of the channel around the shell,
finally pulling the entire leather/foam front off the seat to access the
mechanism.

Not a fun job.  5 times less fun trying to put it  back together.

Brett Anderson
KMS

---

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:59:53 -0600
From: "Dave and Peg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Brian Ruiz'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   "UUC Digest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: braking clunk and new suspension thoughts/questions

Marco is correct.  You do not need to remove the axles to take the springs
out.  One other thing, make sure you have the entire rear of the car jacked
up or the sway bar will not let one side drop low enough to get the spring
out if one wheel is on the ground and the other side is jacked.  I saw a guy
at the track going nuts trying to get the spring out when he had only jacked
one side up.

Dave Miller

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:19:33 -0700
From: Marco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

good point!

Marco

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:31:17 -0700
From: "J. Ochi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], "'Brian Ruiz'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   "UUC Digest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Also remember to release the hand brake and put the car in
neutral.  Otherwise the trailing arm won't drop far enough...

Jim Ochi

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:03:47 -0700
From: "Mike Hood-Douda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'UUC Digest'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FS: Porterfield R-4 for e36

I have a full set (front & rear) used Porterfield R-4 pads for the e36.
These are the full race compound. Not really suitable for street use unless
you like having every one glare at you for having squeally brakes. I have
run them about a total of 3 track days at Portland International Raceway
about 7 years ago. Just found them in the garage and would like to unload
them. They measure out to have 7/16" pad material remaining. The part
numbers are AP 558 (front) and AP 396 (rear)

Asking $100 shipped. Contact me off list for photos and any other questions.

Thanks,

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:54:08 -0700
From: "Scott & Charlotte Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "UUC Digest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   "E30 Yahoo Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Update on Rear Hub Removal / Brake Job <long>

I know you've all been waiting with baited breath to find out what
happened.  Since I'm cross-posting this all over creation, I'll do a
summary which is a bit redundant for some of you.

My '90 325i is up on jack stands.  All four brake calipers and rotors
are removed.  When the rear wheel bearings are done, I'm going to
install a new set of Axxis Ultimate brake pads (more on that in a
sec).  The rear hub collar nut retainers came out without too much
effort, and I have a shiny new 30mm socket (Craftsman from OSH, <$7,
no sales tax last weekend, badmouth it if you must), which allowed me
to handily remove the nuts.

Trying to "drive" (read:  beat) the hubs out from the back side was
not working.  Several of you more knowledgeable wrenchers pointed out
that the old procedure (beat, I mean, drive it out) has been
superseded with a slide hammer approach.  No problem.  My friend
Darrel has a slide hammer and was happy to loan it to me.  I was able
to bolt an adapter to the hub, and then went to thread the slide
hammer bar into the adapter.  Ahem.  I said, thread it into the
adapter.  Grrrrr, it isn't threading.  WTF?  (G-rated translation:
What the heck?)

Upon closer examination, the threads at the end of the slide hammer
bar are totally messed up.  There is no way it is going to thread into
anything.  I recalled, when picking it up from Darrel, that he said,
"Here is it on the workbench, right where the last guy who borrowed it
left it".  Well, I had the unfortunate task of informing Darrel that
whoever last used it ruined the threads.  I know that if I had wrecked
someone else's valuable tool, I would have replaced it without
hesitation.  I couldn't believe that any of Darrel's friends would
have tried to sneak one past him.  Then it occurred to me that it
might have been one of his brothers - that would explain a lot.  I'll
have to ask.

Anyway, either Darrel will fix the threads (I could have done it, but
he has more tools and skill than I do and I didn't want to risk
screwing it up worse), or else I'll find another slide hammer.  But, I
hear you asking, what about those brakes?

I've been running Mintex pads, which are OK for street driving, but I
never felt like they were all that great for autocrossing.  I had
heard good things about the Axxis Ultimates, so I ordered a set from
Adrenaline Racing (recommended by Kurt Z).  In order to have them for
last weekend, I paid for 2 day air from their place in Washington
state.  They arrived on time.  Unfortunately, the rear pads were not
the right ones for an E30 325i.  Saturday I called to discuss it with
Mr. Adrenaline (his actual name escapes me just now), and after some
research, he discovered that the info he had for Axxis pads listed the
wrong part number for my application.  So he is overnighting the
correct pads.  And as it turns out, I didn't need them last weekend
anyway, since I was still wrestling with the hubs.

Stay tuned for infrequent updates.  And probably a report on
autocrossing the family's '91 stock 325iA with my 225/50-15 Kumho
Victoracers.  That should be interesting.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:01:08 -0700
From: "Mike Hood-Douda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'UUC Digest'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Porterfield R-4 are Sold

Thanks! The Porterfield R-4 pads are sold.

-mikehd-

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 02:20:53 -0400
From: "Walker, Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Nurburgring this weekend

Hey from Germany,

Went to the 24H of Nurburgring this weekend....along with 100,000 other race
fans. It was AWESOME. The best news is that BMW M3's driven by Hans Stuck
finished first and second. The starting grid was 270...yes 270 cars. Out of
those, 220 finished. A few hours before the start they rolled the cars onto
the front straight and it just filled with people. What a party it was. We
left the straight and found seats in the main grandstands for the start,
then the rains came (it only rained for the first few hours), but we were
under cover...so we did not care.

After the start we move down to the first turn where, of course, there were
quite a few spins...the spectators went wild on everyone. Later we travelled
back to the pits and then walked parts of the track. The track looks a lot
like Road Atlanta...But 10 time bigger (13 miles and at least 73).

Here are a few links on the "Ring".

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk

http://adac.24h-rennen.de

Click on the "live-box" for the latest news

-----

That's all for now...see you guy's in a few weeks.

Scott Walker

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 06:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Neil N." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Nurburgring this weekend

Man, Stuck is good.  I mean, to win the race is one
thing, but to be able to drive two cars to podium
finishes is pretty amazing.  Would he drive one a
short distance and then run back to the other, or just
do full laps in alternating cars?

:-)

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:45:04 -0500
From: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

on 6/14/04 5:40 PM, "Marco Romani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Check your sway bar end links to make sure they are tight - that can cause
> the clunk.

Or they may be worn out and clunking in the joints, which is hard to tell
while they're on the car.

> Bentley is smoking crack wrt removing the rear axles.

I'll say!

> Just unbolt the rear shock and if you're lucky you can force the control arm
> down far enough to pull out the spring.  Otherwise get a spring compressor.

Brian needs to unbolt both shock eyes at the same time, or else the swaybar
prevents full droop. To get stock springs out I have to use a prybar. H&R
Sports come out almost by themselves.

Neil
96 M3

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:52:08 -0500
From: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apple and BMW team up to produce car audio device

See;
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=502

Experience suggests that we can count on Apple to provide a much friendlier
user interface than that of the infamous iDrive.

Neil
96 M3