Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:26:35 -0400
From: Phil Marx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Airbags and Insurance (was <E36> '94 325is steering

Pretty simple, actually. When you insure your car they give you
"credit" for safety items such as ABS, alarms, and airbags, mostly
based on data from your VIN. It's logical to assume that if you
remove or disable any of the items for which you receive a discount
then your insurance company would want to be informed and adjust your
premium accordingly.

Conversely, given the cost of replacement airbags and their high
theft rate, maybe you'd be entitled to a rate discount if your airbag
was removed? Either way, I suppose you should just ask your agent to
find out for you. Sort of like taking out a life insurance policy as
a non-smoker who doesn't skydive only to take up smoking, jump from a
plane for recreation and not have your chute open,  leaving your
family to find you've left a large loophole for your insurance
company to deny your death claim.

And no, I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

-Phil